Monday, January 12, 2009

When Atticus SJ Finch came home












I have always wanted to write, I love writing as much as I love talking. Its been years since I did some constructive writing, writers block they say. 'Marley and me' just removed that block and gave me the inspiration to create this blog .
I have a plan to make regular posts to this blog for all of you who like to read and also simply because it delights me to write about Atti.

On June 30th 2008, Razzie and JD became proud parents. I knew nothing about that until a sudden urge bottled within me all these years reached enormous proportions. I had to get a dog. I had always had a recurring vision of me with a black Labrador on the couch. And that would just be the beginning. Srikanth and I began a rapid search of Labrador puppies in and around South Carolina. He would be my birthday gift, Srik promised. A pet is a huge responsibility, agreed. That didnt overwhelm me though. I was looking forward to it. I wanted to get ready, prepare myself to take the best care of him at all times. That gave me the jitters some times. After talking to a number of breeders, we decided to visit CedarCreek Retrievers at Holly Hill, SC on July 6th 08. I saw this tiny black puppy 11 days old, almost just the size of my palm, eyes closed and skin as soft as velvet. I had to get him. It was the greatest feeling of excitement and happiness. I couldnt stop talking about him and I needed to give him a name. Srik and I had so many names to think of but nothing fit. And then I just said 'Atticus' after Atticus Finch, one of the greatest characters I have ever read about. And it felt so right. So thats how Atticus got his name. We visited Atti every 2 weeks, because we wanted to and also because we had read it would be easier for the puppy to know us if he saw us frequently. I had everything ready, his supplies, books. House breaking was what I was a little nervous about but I had learnt everything about it so I was really eager to get started with raising a puppy. I know some people reading this blog would recall how I bored them with a zillion puppy questions. I think now I would quite confidently say I know at least half of the answers. Atticus was going to come home on Aug 11th 08. My parents were visiting me for a month and we had returned from NY that afternoon. Srik and I drove to Holly Hill and there he was , sprightly little puppy, weighing about 10 lbs, as cute as button with needle sharp teeth. Donna told us he was going to be ok, the first night would be a little hard and he might whine a little. She told us that he is going to be teething for at least 4-5 weeks and he is going to bite, not aggressively . He just needed something to chew on, what better than soft human skin. Srik was terrified. Before I proceed I should tell you all Srikanth has had a morbid fear of dogs since childhood. He has never been comfortable with dogs until about a year back where we lived in this building where there were several dogs and you would meet at least one in the elevator. I would go "awww' and start petting the dog forgetting what I was doing or where I was going and would tell Srik a million times that he was missing something phenomenal and that he was going to love it. I guess my words did help when he slowly began petting the small dogs and then the big ones, so he was about 80% ready when we went to get Atticus. When Donna said the "B" word, he froze. I told him it wasnt going to hurt, and he was going to get used to it. Well, I had to say something, we were bringing Atticus home and Srik couldnt back off now !! So Atti came home laying on my lap, whining initially, being a little restless and then sleeping for a little bit. My parents were home waiting, my mom was excited for me because she knew mt love for dogs and how I always wanted one. My dad on the other hand couldnt express his happiness because he was worried about how I was going to take care of Atticus. It was around 6ish in the evening on Aug 11 08; Atticus SJ Finch was six weeks when he came home.

3 comments:

  1. congratulations on your new blog! well written post but you might want to remove your complete address from a public site like this.

    and now get back to work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great that your long standing wish of having a dog has been fulfilled.Atticus is in really good hands.I havent seen "Marley & me" yet,but I'm going to see it now.Your blog looks great and your love for atticus is more than obvious..Keep going.. All the best..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of the stories you used to tell me abt Atti (before he came home ) :)

    ReplyDelete